You might think that the only way to achieve that beautiful summer glow during the cold winter months is by escaping down south. And while that does sound like an awesome plan, I have an alternative option for those who are not as likely to be able to escape to soak up some rays on a tropical paradise …
I know, I know. I kinda cheated. What can I say?
I was actually fortunate enough to spend some time in Miami and Colombia these past few weeks. But since you already follow me on Instagram and Facebook then you already know that. ( You are following me right?)
So here’s a recipe for a little concoction I whipped up to help me preserve my sun-kissed glow.
The good news about this homemade natural bronzer is that it will work even if you didn’t get to spend time under the sun.
What you will need:
– 1/2 cup of almond oil
– 1/2 cup of coconut oil
– 1 tbsp of cocoa powder (or more depending on how dark you want to be)
– 1 cup of cocoa butter or shea butter
– Finely ground cinnamon (optional)
– 5-10 drops of peppermint essential oil (optional)
1. Use a double boiler to melt the cocoa butter, the cocoa powder and the cinnamon. Stir constantly.
2. Once they’re well melted, add the almond oil and the coconut oil. Keep stirring.
3. Once they’re all well-mixed, turn off the heat, pour the contents in a large mixing bowl and let it cool down for 30 minutes in the fridge.
4. By then, the mixture will have hardened. Use a hand mixer or an electronic mixer to whip this buttery concoction until the texture is smooth .
5. Add a few drops of peppermint essential oil.
6. Pour the contents into a nice container or jar. Decorate it as you please. (Especially if you’re planning on using this a a gift for someone).
And voilà! You are one step closer to looking like you just got back from vacation.
Oh and a quick note! I actually added the cinnamon because it’s my favorite smell but I noticed the texture of the butter wasn’t as smooth because of it. I found myself having to remove teeny tiny cinnamon particles off my body. And well, that can be a little time consuming. So, only add cinnamon if you really want to. I would also suggest doing a patch test first in case your skin is sensitive to the butter and let it absorb before putting your clothes . Also, looks can be deceiving so please resist the temptation to taste your cocoa body butter bronzer.
OMG! I almost forgot the last step. It’s absolutely imperative that you repeat “Body Butter Bronzer” 5 times out loud, really fast. Did you do it? Now, is that a tongue twister or is it just me?
Enjoyed this post? Click HERE to sign-up to our newsletter and receive holistic health tips in your inbox every month.