The holiday season is upon us and with it comes the wonderful tradition of finding the perfect gift for our loved ones. One of the best ways to ensure that your gift is original is to make it yourself.
Personalized gifts add an extra touch of love don’t they? They add a little something that shows you went the extra mile to make your nearest and dearest smile. You will also get the opportunity to enjoy the creative process behind it. Sounds like a win-win to me!
This month, I decided to make some peppermint lip balm to prepare myself for the cold winter months that await us all. A rich balm is essential for a soft, hydrated pout and will soothe chapped lips all season long. (Us Montrealers know better than to leave home without it ). You can’t go wrong this simple DIY gift: a lip balm is the perfect stocking stuffer.
This easy recipe requires a few natural ingredients. The shea butter and coconut oil’s moisture is super soothing for chapped lips, especially when paired with peppermint essential oil. Peppermint will feel tingly and refreshing on your pout. Its awesome minty smell is a bonus as well.
1 tbsp coconut oil
1 tbsp beeswax
1 tbsp shea butter
3-4 drops peppermint essential oil
Fairy Dust & Lots of Love
*Makes 2 tins of lip balm.
1. Use a double boiler to melt the coconut oil, the beeswax and the shea butter. If you don’t have a double boiler, you can make your own. Basically what you want is to place a heatproof container above or in a pan of simmering water. Use a mason jar if you have one. Simply place the jar in the pan. Fill the pan with water halfway up the jar. Then, place the pan on high heat until it begins to boil and then reduce heat to medium.
2. Stir the coconut oil, the beeswax and the shea butter constantly.
3. Once are they’re all melted and well-mixed turn off the heat.
4. Add 3-4 drops of peppermint essential oil and stir.
5. Carefully, pour the contents into the tins quickly seeing as the mixture starts to harden as soon as it is removed from the heat.
6. Allow to sit for a 2-3 hours until cooled and completely until formed.
7. Decorate the tin cans as you please. Be creative!
At the end, don’t forget the most important step of all. Sprinkle everything with fairy dust and lots of love and infuse your creation with positive vibes!
This holiday season; thrill everyone on your list with this personalized and thoughtful gift.