As the holiday frenzy wears off and we slowly readjust to our everyday lives and many of us begin the new year by setting goals for ourselves and by taking resolutions for the year ahead. For some, that may mean taking the decision to leave something behind, an old habit, a relationship or even a place. As a new year begins, it is a good time to reflect on the year that has passed and free our heart from any emotional negativity and welcome compassion and forgiveness in its place. As we leave things behind, a sentiment of grief may invade our heart chakra which can often be experienced as a sensation of emptiness in the chest. Whether this feeling is caused by the loss of a loved one, a broken relationship or an illness, it is important that we initiate the healing process in our heart chakra. Since the heart acts as a bridge between our higher and lower chakras, a blockage in that area can inhibit the energy from flowing in those areas thus affecting our spiritual and creative energy. This blockage, which can also be referred to as an energetic knot of grief, causes pain and limits our spiritual growth. In order to free ourselves from this suffering we must “untie the knot”. To help you begin this healing process I would like to invite you to close your eyes and this visualisation:
Untying Knots Visualization
1.Sit in a warm, quiet room, make yourself cozy and light some candles.
2. Close your eyes and visualize your heart as a jumbled mass of threads that represent you emotions. As you look closely, become aware of those threads that represent negative feelings or grief that you have been unable to express.
3. Check whether some of the threads are attached to people, to experiences that have ended, or to objects that once caused you pain but no longer do. If you “heart strings” are still attached to them decide to disengage yourself from them.
4. Picture yourself untying the knots, one by one and letting go of their painful memories. Notice as you work on one knot how other threads occasionally become looser and then begin to unravel. Some threads may not even require you to untie them at all; they may start to fall away of their own accord.
5. As the knots release, feel yourself becoming more relaxed: sense that you are physically less “tied up in knots”. In place of the previous tangle, you may begin to see a more simple pattern emerging in your heart.
6. Repeat this visualization as many times as you feel the need to.
Source: Chakra. Discover Energy, Creativity, Focus, Love, Communication, Wisdom and Spirit by Swami Saradananda.